Today there is a growing knowledge of the term business coach. Not many years back, very few people were familiar with the term or exactly what one did. More familiarity was in terms such as business advisors and business consultants. Even though these terms are often put in the same category as coaching, they are not the same.
When you think of a coach what comes to mind? Is it a sports coach? There is soccer, football, softball, baseball, basketball, to name a few. Professional sports people are very familiar with the benefits of coaching. Most today have one on staff or seek out guidance on various occasions.
What are some benefits of hiring a coach?
- Coaches through encouragement and accountability get their players or clients to work harder for peak performance.
- Coaches enhance performance through more effective methods or skills they learned or figured out for themselves.
- Coaches offer realistic assessment of where you are and how to improve.
- Coaches help to identify personal strengths and weaknesses and help you focus on what you do best.
- Coaches help you brainstorm for ideas for needed changes and help you plan how to make the change.
There are a variety of coaches for all areas of your life. There are life coaches, organizational coaches, business coaches, sport coaches, executive coaches, career coaches; you name it and you can probably find a coach to suit your needs. The greatest commonality with all of these types are their goal is to help you reach the greatest potential in the area of focus.
The most successful people today either have had a coach or a mentor in their life. Having someone to guide you in the direction of your goals and give guidance for success is one of the greatest decisions a person can do for self-improvement.
With the abundance of coaches available today, some things to be aware of when searching for one:
- Compatibility-when speaking and spending time with the coach you should feel comfortable and able to speak openly.
- Professionalism-is the coach credible in the fact they are competent in the area of your focus and able to bring knowledge, skills, and good advice? Do they have references?
- Listening skills-are they a good listener? If your first conversation, phone or in person, is one-sided and mainly from them you may want to consider interviewing others. It is the coach‘s job to help you find your inner wisdom while giving guidance and advice but they can only do this if they are listening effectively.
Most coaches offer a free introductory session to alleviate the fear of taking the next step and working with them. Take advantage of the offer and seize the opportunity to see if you are ready to be coached to reaching your ultimate goals.
Let’s Talk About You and Your Business
Request a FREE Grow Your Business Faster Strategy Session to see if coaching is right for you.
Greg Clowminzer offers advice and personal coaching for CEO’s, small business owners, and professionals who are stressed out and overwhelmed by the challenges of business, relationships and life.